Home Improvement Consumer Information
The Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act (Act 132 of 2008) became effective July 1, 2009. Contractors who perform home improvements for which the total cash value is $5,000 or more per year are now required to be registered with the Office of Attorney General.
Consumers may contact the Office of Attorney General to verify the registration of a contractor before signing an agreement for home improvement services. The registration information can be obtained by calling toll free 1-888-520-6680 or by visiting the website at www.attorneygeneral.gov.
What is home improvement fraud?
Home improvement fraud occurs when:
- A contractor intentionally provides false or misleading information to convince a consumer to enter into an agreement for home improvements.
- A contractor receives payment and fails to provide the services or materials.
- A contractor damages a person's property in order to solicit an agreement for services or materials.
- A contractor alters a contract or other documents without the consent of the consumer.
- A contractor publishes false or deceptive advertisements.
- A contractor misrepresents material as special order material or misrepresents the cost of special order material.
- A contractor represents himself or herself as an employee of a governmental unit or public utility.
What are my rights?
- A home improvement contractor must provide you with a copy of the complete contract free of charge.
- You have the right to rescind your home improvement contract without penalty within three business days of the signing date, except as provided under law for emergency situations.
- A home improvement contract is not enforceable against a consumer if it does not include all of the information required by law.
- A contractor may not demand or receive any payment of a home improvement before the home improvement contract is signed.
Where can I find my contactor's registration number?
- All contactors must display their official registration number on all contacts, estimates, proposals, and advertisements distributed within the Commonwealth.
- To verify a contactor's registration number, visit the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General's website at www.attorneygeneral.gov or call toll free 1-888-520-6680.